Robotics integrate all STEM fields. It can help kids get hands-on experience on mechanics, electronics, control system and computer science. Kid just love to play with robots.
However, all robots on the market seem to be expensive, hard to assemble, trouble to wire and complex to program. Our goal is to create an affordable, easy-to-use and open source robot for per kid: ONE ROBOT PER KID.
Meet mBOT – 2.4G Version (Bluetooth Version HERE)
mBot is a low cost, easy-to-run robot kit for kids to get hands-on experience on graphical programming, electronics, robotics. It is an all-in-one solution for robotics learning and specifically designed for STEM education.
Cute shape and easy assembly is our goal. mBot contains only about 45 pieces in total, so it is easy to have a sense of achievement for kids to complete the assembly quickly.
Graphical programming inspired by Scratch 2.0
Since Scratch2.0 is very popular in teachers and students as a graphical programming software, it has almost been proved to be the most easy-to-use graphical programming tool. So based on Scratch 2.0, we develop a new software mBlock to use Scratch-style coding to program Arduino and robots. You are free to download from here.
New features in mBlock:
- Based on scratch 2.0 developed by MIT Media Lab, nice interface and easy for everyone.
- Free software & source code: the software is free and support Window & Mac systems. We will also open the source code later.
- Supports wireless communication: you can use Bluetooth or 2.4GHz wireless serial to communicate with mBot. And download the program wirelessly is supported.
- Supports standard Arduino boards, like Arduino Uno, Lenardo boards, Makeblock mCore(Based on Arduino Uno) and etc. With open communication protocols and source code, it is easy to add new support for new hardware.
- Easy to use: No additional helper app. The easiest way to program your Arduino and robots.
- Arduino mode: perfect for every beginner to switch from graphical programming to text-based programming. See more improvements we made for easy teaching and learning from BELOW.
Open source platform, Continuous learning
Arduino is an open-source electronic prototyping platform used by people in the global world to start a project quickly. It has been proved to be very expandable and suitable for beginners. So we designed mBot’s electronics based on Arduino platform , which is easy for kids to use and extend , and bring their every idea to life.
With intuitional color labels and easy-to-use RJ25 connectors, the board could get wired within a few seconds, so students could get more time to focus on creating all kinds of interactive stories and projects.
See more improvements about electronics we made for easy teaching and learning from BELOW.
What is special for mBot?
Thanks to the cooperation with Scratch teachers, under their help we provide online manual and two online courses to help teachers or kids get started easier.
mBot is wireless
We designed specially two available wireless communication instead of wired USB cable, so users can enjoy wireless programming to control robots without the limit of USB cable. The Bluetooth Version comes with a Bluetooth module and is suitable for individual usage or team working. The Bluetooth version, can be controlled by mBot Mobile App (iOS, Android) and programmed by mBlock on PC.
The 2.4G Version comes with two 2.4G wireless modules and is suitable for classroom
Video tutorials: http://learn.makeblock.cc/mbot/
Kids maker rocks with the robots has twelve chapters. It can guide kids to enjoy fun of programming mBot in a lot of game scenes for learning graphic programming, electronics, robotics.
mBlock Kids maker rocks with robots
Scratch 2.0 the adventures of Mike has nine chapters. It can guide you to explore the world of Scratch 2.0 by creating a lot of interactive stories, games and animation.
Scratch 2.0 The Adventures of Mike
Software download: http://mblock.cc/download/
What can you do with mBot…
- Build a wall avoidance robot
- Build a line follower robot
- Play some musical tones.
- Control the robot by remote control provided or standard TV remote
- IR communication with other mBots for robotic cooperation like dancing.
- Interact with Scratch, using sensors to play games and stories in Scratch 2.0.
- Controlled by App to play football or fight!
You can do more with mBot…