Polymorph (Polycaprolactone) is a non-toxic, biodegradable polyester with a low melting temperature of about 60°C (140°F). Prototype plastic parts can be made by simply heating in hot water until it is clear and then shaping by hand. When cool it becomes a nylon like white plastic. Polymorph can be re-used by simply re-heating and re-shaping.
**100g of Polymorph plastic is equivalent to ~ 90 cm2 plastic sheet of 1cm thick
Density at 25 degree C : 1.10 g/cm3
Softening Temperature : 60-63℃ (can be shaped in low temperature)
• The revolutionary plastic that melts in hot water and can be moulded by hand
• Hardens as it cools – strong as nylon
• 101 uses for DIY and model making such as prototype mechanical parts or armatures and frames for models
• Becomes easily mouldable at just 62°C.
Polymorph is one of a new generation of commercial polymers set to have a major impact on model making and prototyping. This polymer has all the characteristics of a tough ‘engineering’ material yet it fuses and becomes easily mouldable at just 62°C. It can be heated with hot water or a hair dryer and moulded by hand to create prototypes and solve manufacturing problems currently outside the capacity of other materials.
Uses for Polymorph include:
1. Prototype mechanical parts Armatures/frames
2. Prototype models and specialized components – e.g. motor mountings Moulding for complete products – e.g. torches
3. Joining components together Mouldings for handles & orthopaedic aids Vacuum forming moulds
How to use polymorph
How to make polymorph sheets, brackets and a link to making rods. So far I’ve worked out how to make flat sheets with a smooth glass like finish and from those sheets simple mounting brackets with relatively neat 90 degree bends. Be warned, polymorph can give you severe burns if it gets on your skin when hot and it sticks! Never touch it when it’s clear! Not for
Making a sheet of plastics
Find a suitable container to melt the polymorph in. You could also heat this in a pot of boiling water with some fresh beads. When it is clear, it is sticky and hot enough to burn you. Be patient with this stuff as it is slow to transferheat from the melted sections to the beads. Eventually you will end up with a clear viscous substance.
A plastic sheet of uniform thickness and a glass smooth finish. This can be cut with a sharp knife or even scissors if it is thin enough.
Making a mounting bracket for a servo
You can create you own movable robot finger using a servo. Thread a nylon string thru’ the bendable joints.